[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] The purpose of terrorism

Bryan-TheBS-Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:28:09 -0400

[ Moved to Advocacy ]

"Michael W. Holdeman" wrote:
> Yes I'm sure "some" innocent blood Will be spilled,

We bomb innocent targets all the time.  The question is, just how
much were they innocent?  It's an answer that is usually never
proved on either side.

> this is a sad fact of war, and this is a war, a war
> against terrorism in America.

As long as the government does not violate the rights of its
citizens, nor does something brash in the world itself, I am behind
my government.  I trust the intelligence community (at least after
Vietnam) more than I do most politicians, so I hope those
politicians take their good information and put it to responsible
use.

As much as we don't want to see the government crying "chicken
little" to take away our rights for security, we shouldn't be crying
"chicken little" ourselves before it happens.  So I think the recent
outcry from "privacy activists" is a little pre-mature, and let's
wait for things to actually happen before crying again.  Otherwise,
the terrorists have won.

> What I disagree with is a warning. We should NOT warn the
> poeple responsible, they have their warning already just
> quote President Bush. Thats good enough.

Yes, I do agree in the circumstances.  We are not attacking first,
but last.

> What I do wish is that the policy of not assasinating these
> folks when we have the proper intelligence that they are involved
> in this type of activity.  Could have saved a lot of lives this
> week.

The problem with assination is it creates a martyr.  Let's say we
killed off Hitler, someone would have arose in his place.  Maybe a
facist that was more rational, and less of a barbarian.  No, I'm
glad we had the evil Hitler we did -- otherwise, maybe Europe would
still be facist in many corners.

Once you create a martyr, everything becomes unpredictable.

Use the military to surgically or strategically strike those who
wage war to reduce their ability to wage war.  Use the courts to
prosecute those violators who we capture.  We must extend our laws
to them, or we shall become them.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413