[KLUG Advocacy] windows xp search assistant

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
25 Apr 2002 21:45:45 -0400

>>>One of the [many] reasons I CHOOSE to run Linux whenever possible.
>>I have yet to personally use XP.  Somehow I think I never will.
>>- Hi, I'm a multi-billion dollar multi-national corporation.  Yes,
>>your computer is sending me information.  But TRUST me!  I'd NEVER even
>>think of recording that information or using it for any purpose with which
>>you wouldn't be completely pleased.  I have your best interest at heart!
>>Really, its the truth. -
>"Oh I trust you ... it's the people who analyze the collected
>information and determine for what nefarious reasons they will use
>this info ... always for the betterment of mankind ... aaaah, the
>'corps'"  ... sort of reminds me of the Marine Corps ... somehow their
>"motto" seemed to be out of order ... even suicidal ... but I'm sure
>there is a good rationale behind it ... much like the rationale for
>these corporations to collect data on everyone ... to control, or
>perhaps, to destroy?   Sounds maybe like another good conspiracy
>theory, huh?  ;>))

No.  By definition a conspiracy is a "secret collusion between agencies
or individuals for political or financial gain."  Every corporation I've
been in has a m-a-r-k-e-t-i-n-g department.  So the secret is out,
hence, not a conspiracy.  A better description would be "very stupid
consumer".