[KLUG Advocacy] TCO Windoze vs Linux

Mike Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:24:21 -0500

By now I think everybody's heard of the Microsoft-commisioned "study"
that states that Total Cost of Ownership is lower with Windows servers
than Linux ones in most roles.  Ignoring the various false assumptions
that made such a result possible, the main reason they gave for this was
the relative immaturity of Linux's management tools.  Can somebody who
knows them comment on this?  I've only worked as an IT person in
Microsoft environments, and I can say that while a GUI is nice to have,
management tools are not all that great on Windows.  Pre Windows 2000
they're downright awful.  How bad are Linux tools?  Does it have
anything to match the tricks in Active Directory like remapping My
Documents to a server share and assigning software packages to be
installed as needed on workstations?  For that matter, do those AD
tricks actually work as advertised, as I've never used them?