[KLUG Advocacy] GNOME v. KDE

Peter Buxton advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:19:04 -0500

I read this in an OS/2 retrospective and had to let Adam see this ;-) :

http://www.linuxandmain.com/features/os2retro.html

OS/2 was very popular in Europe, and several software vendors there
released applications. [John C.] Dvorak says that this has historically
been the kiss of death, which is why we don't see lots of programs
flowing out of that continent, even though it is chockablock with fine
programmers.

"The Europeans are always trying to go and do things their own way, and
sometimes they're actually more objective than we are," he says.
"They'll go and do an analysis of a number of products and one of them
will be superior technically, and the Europeans will actually use that
product, which is not the way we do it. The Europeans fall into the trap
of buying a lot of offbeat things like Amigas -- which was a good
machine, there's no question about it -- but they were also the biggest
Atari supporters. It's always something that just doesn't make any
sense. They're always coding for screwy platforms that nobody has. I
mean, these guys never get it together. These Europeans are just out to
lunch."

--
for gpg key: http://killdevil.org/~peter
Black Ops. Silent, undetected and above all