[KLUG Advocacy] Re: IP legalese and proceedings (was Re: Movies? Weird!!!)

Bryan J. Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:33:14 -0500 (EST)

Quoting "Robert G. Brown" <bob@acm.org>:
> THe DMCA is bad law, not only because I don't agree with it, but because
> it relies on the worst elements of the structure of the court system to
> intimidate people. It has a chilling effect on a lot of activites.

Damn that's the best way I've seen it put.

And as I always say, "any law that can be abused, will be abused."  I get so
sick of Hatch (R) saying "the industry wouldn't stand for abuse of this law."
Famous last words of _any_ Congressman**.

[ **NOTE:  I should be noted that Hatch _has_ had panels and meetings to point
out actual _abuses_ of the DMCA by "Big Media."  But he still misses the "root
problem" -- you should _never_ knowingly pass laws that have gapping loopholes. ]

> I'd like to see a reent URL on this, preferably a couple. I did acursory
> search, times demands my attention elsewhere.

It just came up last week I believe, because the first day of the criminal trial
started.  I'll have to find some URLs for you.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
[ http://thebs.org/files/resume/BryanJonSmith_certifications.pdf ]