[KLUG Advocacy] A User Leaving

Bill Katsma advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
10 Jul 2002 22:55:22 -0400

> I thought it was pretty level headed and made some good points.  Alot of
> this same thing applies to putting Linux in schools,etc....  I'm curious
> is anyone has any comments.

I agree with Adam his article was pretty level headed.  Linux has allot
of work to do before it will be just a point and click os.  That is if
will ever be that.  It is the learning and getting your hands dirty and
the I am in control (And not some huge company in Redmond).  Which
brings up a good point for Linux in schools.  If you learn Linux and the
behind the scenes of how computers work, the sky is the limit and that
should be what schools and students should look for.

Right now Linux has its place and Microsoft has theres.  Unfortunately
Microsoft has what the majority wants which is the ease of use and the
applications. From what I have seen the Apple is more competition to
what Microsoft has than Linux it has a robust OS and the point and click
usability.  It is just missing the applications and lack of upgrade
ability that one has with the X86 architecture.

I would love more than anything to see Linux be a easy system to use
like Microsoft as long as the user still has the control.  Because Linux
is not mainstream it get protection from companies trying to exploit it
with spy-ware and Virus writers attacking with Viruses.

Bill