[KLUG Advocacy] A user leaves....

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
11 Jul 2002 19:20:54 -0400

>>Does that mean that Linux is not ready for this type of user, since
>>he went back to windows?
>No, at this juncture, while Linux is not perfect, I don't think its a
>case of it is not being ready.   I believe this user is not ready for
>Linux in terms of making the commitment to delve a little bit deeper
>and educate himself by doing the necessary things that RGB and others
>have mentioned.  It takes work ... no doubt about it ... to understand

But it is possible to just USE a Linux desktop and understand nothing.
You just need someone to put it together for you.  I put together a
RH/Ximian box for my brother (recently released from the pokey) and he
sits down in front of it and uses the applications (Open Office, etc...)

One must remember that most people are using a PC where the software is
assembled by someone else, in a much more tailored way than just
installing a Linux distro.  It is usually called a "Restore Disk".

>Linux conceptually and how all things play together.  Even if he
>doesn't delve into it deeper, once installed, Linux is a heck of a lot
>stabler than Windows.  As RGB pointed out he seems to have some "other

And has a great number of apps for a great deal less money.

>things" going that required a little more in-depth knowledge to
>implement.  Perhaps, it is more of a case, he is too lazy or just
>doesn't want to expend the time and energy required or seek the help
>that is sometimes necessary.  I truly don't know, but he seems a bit
>too indicative of a lot of today's users who want the world without
>trying to understand the implications of it once he has it.

Somehow LUGs need to promote themselves more aggressively so "we" can
nudge people's thinking away from the bail-n-install mentality.

>These people can be dangerous ;>))

Oh yes.

>M$ ain't the answer ... he's just
>probably more familiar with it (just a guess).  And we all know he's
>probably spent a lot of time learning why his mouse and MS system
>locked up or other such muance problems.

No, he just reboots.