[KLUG Advocacy] A user leaves....

Rusty Yonkers advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:11:50 -0700 (PDT)

Well .... some interesting comments from both the author of the
article and from the people on this forum.

I have used Linux off and on since the early 90's.  It was not until
RedHat 7.x that I felt there was a really good replacement for me to
use Linux as my primary desktop (well also Mandrake 7.x).  A lot of
what he says makes a lot of sense in the time frame that he was
talking about.  Also, some of the stuff still is not fixed.  For
Linux to invade the home market a fair number of things do need to
change.

GUI cd burning tools still suck big time compared to Nero.  I love
Nero and yearn for it to this day.  Some of them are getting closer
but have a ways to go yet.  The command line is nice for ripping cd
to iso files or for burning iso images to cd but if I am creating a
cd from my file system then give me a nice (really nice) gui to use.
Gnome toaster is getting quite close now.

As far as tweaking source code, I am not a programmer and would not
have a clue what to do or do I even want to!!!  I agree that software
needs to be available as a binary or at least an rpm.  Red carpet has
brought that a long way but it is not perfect yet, close but still
awkward for a home user.

I will continue to use Linux for my desktop workstation, but in the
home for the rest of the people I am getting ready to roll out iMac
computers.  I do not want to deal with Windows any longer but do love
the simplicity of Mac for the regular home user at this point.  Maybe
eventually I will move everyone to Linux but not yet.  (besides there
is something like really cool about a computer that does not need a
fan, runs like a raped ape, and looks so incredibly cool!!!!)

I think Linux is deffinately to the point to be rolled out in schools
and in corporate world en masse but the home user is a ways away yet.
 I am sure that I am going to get flamed for some of this but I
really agree with the guy in a fair number of points.

=====
Rusty Yonkers
CNE, MCP, A+, CCNA, Linux+, Server+ certified