[KLUG Advocacy] RE: CIPA unconstitutional -- my simple idea ...

Bryan J. Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
04 Jun 2002 14:10:27 -0400

On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 13:41, Adam Williams wrote:
> And corporations have an entirely diffrent agenda than a library.

Correct.

> I like this "select a filter" idea,  and it actually would be trivial to
> implement using something like squid.  But it doesn't solve the "computer
> next to me" problem.  The person to my right may view something I find
> offensive, I'll see it out of the corner of my eye, and I'll be offended
> (Oh my!).  This may help,  but in the end I still think it is just a
> "problem" we are going to have to live with.

That's why certain filters (or lackthereof) can be regulated to a
private room.

> Oh no!  The NEA is not for the Democratic Party?  I often vote for
> Democrats, and my wife is a public school teacher.  The NEA is way too
> stupid, backward, and ignorant to be "for" anyone, at least successfully.

Okay, I'll meet you there.  But they still favor the Democrats heavily.

> I'm a "liberal" but I certainly wish they didn't consider themselves in my
> camp.  The only thing the NEA is "for" is the bloated egos of the educrats
> that make up their board.

Now you know what us Libertarians must feel about the Republican party.
There are so many Libertarians locked up in a Republican party that
still fails to realize you canNOT legislate morality.

> But it doesn't help the small fringe groups that can't afford to
> onstruct their own lists, or (some by their very nature) don't have a
> cental organ to do so.

That was my point -- they need to rely on large organizations to help
them.

> I hope the Michigan Department of Ed doesn't try.  Oh my gosh.... Please!
> Send in the corporotists.

Okay, I understand.  I feel Florida would be more of the same too.

> Hmm,  I'm not sure thats what freedom is about.  But thats another thread.

Yeah, I hear you.

It's too bad your a Democrat though.  ;-P  But you gotta love W. and all
the spending he's doing.  Basically Gore v. W. was the same deal, both
from old money.  Except you've got one guy who's a hypocrite and too
self-promoting, and another guy that was spoiled, but man enough to
admit he's made mistakes.

Ack, I didn't even like the Libertarian candidate, Harry Brown.  If the
Republicans would put up Alan Keyes, Steve Forbes or Jack Kemp (in that
order of preference), I'd vote for them -- let alone Powell.

-- Bryan

--
The US government could be 100x more effective, and 1/100th the
Constitutional worry, if it dictated its policy to Microsoft as