[KLUG Advocacy] Desktop Penguins

mag00 advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sat, 11 May 2002 00:30:28 -0400

This was published in the May 6, 2002 InfoWorld - Page 22

The Open Source
Russell Pavlicek

Desktop penguins

MAYBE IT'S coincidence; maybe it's just fate.
I spent much of the last two weeks examining
many of the latest products and projects that
work toward a viable Linux office desktop.
So, naturally, what crosses my desk but a
document from otherwise intelligent people
proclaiming that Linux has a long way to go
before it can stand as a corporate desktop
system.

Bunk. Pure bunk.

Some people say Linux is not ready for the
corporate desktop because it does not have
a specific program employed by their
organization. Although that may be a reason
not to deploy Linux in that particular
business, it is hardly reason for
discounting Linux for all businesses.

Old information is another reason some claim
that Linux is not ready for the corporate
desktop.  The fact is that the Linux desktop
has come a long way in the past year (even
the past six months!) but most people don't
realize it.

Take, for example, CrossOver Office.  Here
you have the capability to run MS Office,
Outlook, and Internet Explorer on Linux.
And while I would wait for the next minor
patch release before rollout, I suspect that
it will be ready for prime time within the
next quarter.

For those trying to wean themselves off
Microsoft products, there are some excellent
alternatives.  By the way, if you don't
understand why some organizations are doing
that, I suggest you ask the school district
in Portland.  In April, The Oregonian
reported that Microsoft ordered the district
to submit proof of licensing its 25,000
computers within 60 days or face the
consequences.  Of course, the financially
strapped school district could just pay an
estimated $500,000 for a sitewide license
to make Microsoft go away, but to do so
might mean eliminating several teaching
positions.  It's no wonder why some
organizations are evaluating options.

And there are plenty of options to be had.
For standard office functions, StarOffice,
OpenOffice, and Hancom Office all have a lot
to offer, each with a look and feel similar
to what most office workers are already
using.  For e-mail, Evolution and Bynari's
InsightClient have excellent functionality
that gives Outlook a run for its money.

But what if you already have an extensive
investment in Exchange? No problem.  Take
a look at Ximian Connector V1.0, which
works well at bridging the gap between
Exchange Server and Ximian's Evolution
client.

Looking for an Exchange Server equivalent?
Either Bynari's InsightConnector or
Caldera's Volution Messaging Server could
fit the bill.  Of course, there are always
the standard open-source programs, such as
Sendmail and Imapd for folks who want to
save money and roll their own.

So if someone tells you Linux isn't ready
for the office desktop, ask them to make
sure their facts are current.  Or, if they
happen to be a vendor, check their product
line.  They may have a lot to lose if you
realize that you have choices.

What do you think of Linux on the desktop?
Let Russell know at the InfoWorld Open
Source forum at www.infoworld.com/os , or
send e-mail to Russell Pavlicek at
pavlicek@linuxprofessionalsolutions.com.

This copyrighted article was shared thanks to
multiple aspects of the "Fair Use Doctrine!"