[KLUG Advocacy] Re: Desktop Penguins -- OpenOffice v. MS Office/Win v. MS Office/Mac

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sat, 11 May 2002 09:17:28 -0400 (EDT)

> OpenOffice 1.0 for Windows/Linux renders MS Office 97/2000 for Windows
> documents _more_like_the_original_ than MS Office 98/2001 for Mac.

Okay, here's the issue that's preventing us from switching to Linux on the
desktop.

When it comes up that there is no M$-Office on Linux, I point out things like
Open/Star-Office.  THEN I get the statement that people need M$-Access and
how to do that with the Linux office products that don't have a database.

When I point out that Star has a database module (that I've never tried, and
know
absolutely nothing about) I get the question about the thousands of M$-Access
databases already created and if any Linux office product will convert
them overas easily as it converts Word/Excel documents.

That's where I'm stumped.  Any good ways to do this???

Bruce Smith                bruce@armintl.com
System Administrator / Network Administrator
Armstrong International, Inc.
Three Rivers, Michigan  49093  USA
http://www.armstrong-intl.com/