[KLUG Advocacy] Re: Ahhh, a second helping of butt whipping ... "TheBS is back conspiracy"

Bryan J. Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
15 Oct 2002 11:42:13 -0400

--=-53ZP1ODbC5m01WGneet1

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 08:30, Bruce Smith wrote:
> Okay, make sure you comment on the next UCF loss.  :-)

We're going to "win out" and finish 9-3.  ;-P

Seriously now, although we have a very good chance of doing so, with our
hardest games behind us, we've got some serious injuries that are
hurting us.

E.g., We we leading Arizona State 13-10 at the half -- *BUT* we lot 3 of
our 5 offensive lineman on one play near the end of the half.  The
result was our offense went _backwards_ throughout the second half
(including losing our quarterback) and ASU's defense scored most of
their points in a 13-46 route.

Fortunately we've gotten more reps on our OL with our backups, and one
guy has returned.  But one is definitely out for the season and another
isn't looking good to return either.

> Cool!  I hope your new job works out for you.  And welcome back!

It's a job, more later.  I'm on call 24x7, with no backup, which means
sleep is getting "interesting" in my life.  In my very second week, I
didn't sleep for 3 days straight.  This week is looking more of the
same.

But I _do_ get overtime.  ;-P

> As I said before, I'm not a WMU fan, and I never heard of UCF until
> recently, but I was pulling for WMU in the game (just a little :) since
> UCF was running their mouth too much and not making any friends.

Actually, those were mis-quotes.  The woman at the Orlando Sentinel is
now being shunned by the UCF staff for her "unprofessionalism."  These
comments were also at the main Boosters meeting and _not_ any sports or
MAC meeting.

Regarding the "worrying about the non-conference games," that was a
remark with regards to Marshall _before_ the season started and we
started with games at Penn State and Arizona State and had a bye week
before Marshall.  So our coach said (paraphrased) "we're not worrying
about the conference games yet, we've gotta prepare for our two tough
non-conference games to start the season."  He also added "Luckily we've
got a bye week to prepare for Marshall."

The "reporter," of course, said "UCF isn't worrying about its
non-conference schedule."

Regarding the "we're going to go undefeated" our coach _clearly_said_ at
the Boosters meeting "Our main goal is to go undefeated, and we think we
can.  The MAC is a tough conference, much tougher than it used to be
when we had Daunte here, but we think it is possible to do so." =20

The "reporter," of course, said "UCF thinks its going to go undefeated
this year."

Again, total unprofessionalism on the part of the reporter.  But if the
other MAC teams want to use it for fodder to get "excited" about playing
us, more power to them.

> But (as we all know) UCF won, and you deserve some bragging rights.=20
> Congratulations.  (can we drop it now . . .  ;-)

Hey, I was glad to beat WMU.  They _are_ a good team!  WMU went up on us
14-0, and we were able to come back.  So it was a really good game!

Just know that UCF is a very good team too!  ;-P  We have been since
1997, the very year after we moved to I-A.  We almost beat the 1997
National Champion Nebraska Cornhuskers, but blew the game in the 4th
quarter (after leading through much of the 3rd, including at half time).

We are regularly considered a "top 50" team.

--=20
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA
           limit      guilt   =3D     { psychopath,
         remorse->0                    innocent }

--=-53ZP1ODbC5m01WGneet1

--=-53ZP1ODbC5m01WGneet1--