[KLUG Advocacy] Darwin for x86

advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:04:55 -0500

>OK. So now there's really no reason to stay with Windows ;}
>http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/6.0/release.html

While interesting, I don't think it will win a single convert.  It posses even
greater problems then switching to Linux.

1. Applications - Where?  Office may be available for the Power PC OS X, but the
x86 OS X - Not a whelps chance in a super-nova.  And that ain't much of a
chance.  And this isn't the entire OS X environment (at least as I understand
it), so it may still be "impossible" to port many commercial applications.

2. Driver Support - Again same problem.  Apple may have gone open source (sort
of)  but the hard vendors that haven't, still haven't.  So it will be like using
Linux kernel 2.0 on a modern PC.

3. If people expect the same experience on an open hardware platform (PC) as on
a closed/controlled platform (Apple), they are going to be sorely dissapointed.