[KLUG Advocacy] Interesting . . .

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Fri, 06 Sep 2002 09:04:25 -0400

>     http://www.pbs.org/cringely/
>"Invincible: How Microsoft and Wal-Mart Can Lose, but
>Can't Be Beaten"

Yes, this is indeed an interesting article. I suspect
that Bob Cringley once again errs in favor of the too
conventional. He mentions that a reader pointed him at
a book, I shall do the same, and I recomend it to everyone
on this list, too:

The Innovators Dilemma
  When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail
Clayton M. Christensen
Harvard Business School Press, 1997
ISBN 0-87584-585-1

The basis of this book is that "disruptive technologies" -
new methods of doing things, or new packaging of existing
service - alter markets very quickly, and are "disruptive"
of existing rules, since they radically alter the costs
and profit margins. Although Linux is not mentioned at all,
I leave it to readers (and to Cringley) to determine if this
shoe fits our feet. I believe it does, and I wonder if the
coment Cringley mentions at the end isn't already among us.

						Regards,