[KLUG Advocacy] Linux Outpacing Macintosh On Desktops

advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:51:53 -0400

>On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 14:28, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>>... The article as a whole has a lot of [other] interesting
>> things to convey to readers.
>Yes, like this quote:
>"We have found," Dekkers said, "that one of the major issues put forward
>- no support and no accountability - is false"
>Which was worth reading the whole article.
Exactly, among others. I was surprised to see the article highlighted the way
it was, after reading it.

>>>Depends on the poll, desktop users vs. desktop systems.
>>Yeah, you have to read the fine print carefully. A number of these studies
>>are pretty conditional.
>I would think one could measure the business desktop count,
You might, but there's a lot of diversity there, and a good sampling effort
would have to reach places that are nominally under the radar, which is where
Linux became entrenched before a lot of organizations even realized it, or at
very least were willing to ackowledge.

>but home systems would be a mine field.
Please expland on this, I simply don't understand why you think so.

>It would be interesting to see a geographic Linux penetration study.  Is
>it more common in some parts of the contry than others?
Good question. I have some speculation on what the distribution may be, but
it really doesn't mattter; there's enough of that in any case.

							Regards,