[KLUG Advocacy] Linux Outpacing Macintosh On Desktops

Mike Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:33:50 -0400

>Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:38:16 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Rusty Yonkers <therustycook@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [KLUG Advocacy] Linux Outpacing Macintosh On Desktops
>To: advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
>
>Well an interesting thing in this is that as I read Linux Journal I
>am noticing a fair number of letters about people that have switched
>to suign OS X for their desktop while leaving Linux on the back end
>machines.  This is also what I plan on doing at my house is to put in
>a few iMacs (one for the kids, one for the wife and one for me) and
>still leave the firewall and such on Linux boxes.  They make a nice
>combination to use together.  I also feel that even though Linux has
>come a long way in recent years in the desktop arena there are a
>number of things that still are not quite there.  I still run into a
>number of frustrations that I need to use Windows (soon to be Mac)
>for.

Sounds very similar to the way I run things.  I'm too much of a gamer to
run anything but Windows on the desktop, but I have a house server that
runs Linux.  It's a much older machine, that I don't think would run
Windows XP, but Linux handles it just fine.  Runs Samba,Apache, DHCP,
DNS, a webcam (when I get USB working again, but that's another story),
and a DDNS client with no problem.  Makes a serious argument for NOT
having a GUI on a server, I think.