[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] New York Times Endorses Linux

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
20 Sep 2002 10:13:06 -0400

>>>http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/18/opinion/18WED2.html
>>>This is on the Editorial Page of the New York Times today.
>>>Not a news article, or a guest opinion, but the position of
>>>the newspaper itself on the topic.
>>It seems a strange position for a producer of copyrighted material to take,
>>very much out of stride with the rest of the industry.
>Yeah, the Times is like that.
>>Maybe they actually get the fact that in the end reduced openness will hurt them
>>too, and badly (IMHO).
>I think they understand what's coming. Thier own website is a good example.

How so?

>>It is hard for me to imagine being pro-Linux solely on
>>the basis of "For consumers, that would be good news",
>Probably something of a compromise. NY Times editorials are voted on by the
>editors, and usually only get in the paper after a UNANIMOUS vote. Perhaps this
>ws the strongest statement they could agree on.

Gotcha,  I understand that kind of thing.

>>then why not endorse Apple,
>Commerical organization. The Times has a policy about this.

Makes sense.  Seems they would have endorsed "alternatives" and been
open-ended about it.  But maybe they have some noisy Linux advocates
floating about.

>>come out with a position on the M$ monoplity trial, etc...
>They did!

In the article?  They said the solution didn't address the problem,
which I suppose is a position.  If they had an earlier stronger one I
either missed it or forgot it.