[KLUG Advocacy] Linux Outpacing Macintosh On Desktops

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
20 Sep 2002 12:50:07 -0400

>I know that there is some software for creating movies on Linux but I
>have tried to use broadcast2000 (now cinelerra) and could not figure

The UI for cinelerra has been reworked,  broadcast 2000 was tough.
Also, bcast2000, wasn't in the same market as iMovie, it is a higher end
package.  Never played with the middle of the road packages -
http://www.mainconcept.com/
http://www.schirmacher.de/arne/kino/index_e.html

>it out.  Being unable to figure out software is something that rarely
>happens for me!  I have not been able to find anything else that
>comes close to iMovie for Linux yet.  I was able to put together a

Maybe Kino or mainconcept?  Don't know, haven't tried them.

>>Just out of curiosity, what frustrations do you run into that
>>require Windows?
>Mainly multimedia stuff.  Video editing is a no go so far.  The sound
>on the systems works sometimes and then not others.  Quicktime movies
>only work with the crossover plugin and the quicktime for windows

The quicktime issue is a legitimate frustration.

>product.  I have yet to get avi movies to play.  I created an
>animation on Linux using Blender but had to play it in Windows.  Xine
>has yet to run a movie for me.  Just get a black screen and no
>response and this on multiple machines.  Midi playback on anything
>other than an old isa Awe 64 card is terrible.  I know that
>dreamworks uses Linux but they are custom writting all their own
>software and I have yet to find anything that is really useable on
>the web.  Real audio support is bad.

My experience differs from yours here.  Real player and Xine work great.

>Streaming mp3 only works as good as the sound drivers (I have not tried
>the drivers that you have to buy but have heard that they are pretty
>good) which has been sporadic as I said before.

ALSA?

>I love ipchains and dns and apache and how it works as a server.  I
>love openoffice.  So far Galeon is the best web browser but I still
>have not been able to get it to open up faster than about 4 minutes
>under KDE.  I have used Gnome but miss the themes thing from KDE (I

Galeon isn't meant to be used under KDE, so your right.  And, yes,
Galeon is the worlds greatest browser.

>know that this is more of a whine thing about the themes but hey I
>like pretty and easy to make pretty too and Gnome has nothing like
>the themes thing in KDE that I have found yet!!!!).

GNOME2!

>I even teach Linux and am Linux+ certified and am the condesending
>Linux user here at school but sometimes I just want pretty and easy
>and with multimedia and am not finding it with the Linux desktop like
>I see it in Mac.

I don't do much multimedia,  but I find Ximian to be easy and pretty.
I'd like to see a presentation on skins, etc...

>Ok .... rant done... I am feeling a little better now....

Nothing like a good rant.

--
This message undoubtedly processed by the purely benevolent "US
Department of Homeland Security",  but don't worry... they're