[KLUG Advocacy] Linux Outpacing Macintosh On Desktops

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:55:45 -0400

>>Sounds nice, but for the price of hardware. I can put together a really
>>cheap PC. I haven't priced Macs recently but I'm pretty sure they run a
>>little more.
>It depends, you can get a "nice" Mac for not much money,  but still
>several hundred dollars more than you can a "nice" PC.  The Macs do come
>standard with some features (DVD, etc...) that are extra on a PC,  but
>not anything that the average end-user will really care about. (IMHO).

Overall, the spreads between Macs and PC's are narrowing, and it seems that
it is easier to add a number of things to modern Macs that it used to be. I
tend to think that TCO runs about the same; what the typical Wintel user
saves in up-front cash is lost later, in time to find and configure new
hardware, in systems that are not as stable, and in fairly rapid and enforced
software turnover.

I can also understand why a large organization would go with Wintel vs. Mac.
At that point, it's a question of driving unit costs down, and employing
people who work full-time maintaining things.

>>Just out of curiosity, what frustrations do you run into that require Windows?
>Yes, enumeration of these is interesting and helpful.  I'm working on my
>top ten reasons Linux sucks list, and I'll post it here when I'm done.
Oughtta be interesting! :)
							Regards,