[KLUG Advocacy] Novell, Inc. Selects And Sponsors LPI's Certification Exams

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
23 Apr 2003 07:32:32 -0400

This should really help bolster the number of Linux administrators
available in the market, all the Novell certified guys will be
cross-trained.

-----------------------------------
( BW)(LINUX-PROFESSIONAL) Novell, Inc. Selects And Sponsors Linux
Professional Institute's Certification Exams For Its Novell Certified
Linux Engineer Designation; Novell Becomes LPI's Latest Gold Sponsor
    Business Editors/High-Tech Writers

    TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 22, 2003--Novell, Inc. (Nasdaq:
NOVL) in its push to create a more direct path to its open source
initiatives, has selected the Linux Professional Institute's (LPI),
(www.lpi.org) professional certification program as a step towards its
own Novell Certified Linux Engineer (Novell CLE).
    "For a prestigious organization like Novell to sponsor the community
and endorse our program clearly validates our vendor-neutral position
and demonstrates the value we bring as a foundation for other
certification programs," says LPI's president Evan Leibovitch. "As a
company who has pioneered IT certification, we welcome their initiatives
into the open source community and we are look forward to working with
their team to ensure success of its CLE program."
    "Our Novell CLE program is designed to test and enhance the
knowledge base of our IT professionals related specifically to Novell
Services for Linux," adds Aaron Osmond, Managing Director, Novell
Training Services. "We are recommending the LPI certification program en
route to our Novell CLE designation. We recognized LPI's market
credibility and the value the organization brings to our program. We
didn't want to unnecessarily reinvent the wheel."
    "Expressing its commitment to LPI and the open source community to
achieve collective success, Novell has also joined forces with LPI to
become our latest Gold Sponsor," says Leibovitch "This sponsorship
affords Novell the added strengths of working with a successful, active
Linux professional community as it continues their own Linux
development."
    LPI exams are now available at Novell's Utah test centers as part of
the Novell CLE certification program.
    LPI's mandate is to design and deliver a certification program from
within the Linux community, using both volunteer and professional
resources. It has been ranked number one on the list of certifications
expected to rise the 'fastest in importance' according to the 2002 CRN
Certification study. LPI has also been selected as the winner, for the
second consecutive year, of the Linux Journal's annual Editors' Choice
Awards in the Training and Certification category. LPI has delivered
over 27,000 Level One and Level Two certification exams globally since
the program's inception in just over two years.
--
Adam Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org>