[KLUG Advocacy] The UCITA effort is offline

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
03 Aug 2003 18:52:18 -0400

http://lwn.net/Articles/42245/

Seth David Schoen
<schoen@loyalty.org>

linux-elitists@zgp.org

[linux-elitists] No more
UCITA!

Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:59:21
-0700

via a friendly D.C. lawyer, who says "Good can triumph over Evil,
especially if Good has sufficient resources":

UCITA STANDBY COMMITTEE IS DISCHARGED

August 1, 2003 - At its 112th Annual Meeting in Washington, DC, the
National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws (NCCUSL)
discharged the standby committee of the Uniform Computer Information
Transactions Act. The discharge was approved by NCCUSL's Executive
Committee on July 31, 2003.

NCCUSL President K. King Burnett stated:

     "Clearly our efforts to find consensus and to bring all of the
interested parties together has been extraordinary. Unfortunately in the
real world, sometimes doing the right thing at the right time is not
enough. We have determined to focus the Conference's energies on the
items related to our larger agenda and not expend any additional
Conference energy or resources in having UCITA adopted. Of course, we
are not abandoning our interest in the subject matter. UCITA will remain
in place as a resource for the American legal and political community,
and for reference by the courts. At some time in the future, there will
be opportunities for making contributions of law suitable for the
information economy. The Conference remains interested in making these
kinds of contributions, and will undoubtedly consider carefully any new
opportunities that arise."

UCITA is the first uniform law governing information contracts. It
adopts accepted and familiar principles of commercial contract law, and
provides fundamental rules for licensing contracts between users and
vendors. It has been enacted, to date, in Maryland and Virginia.

The National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws is now in
its 112th year. The organization comprises more than 350 lawyers,
judges, and law professors, appointed by the states as well as the
District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, to draft
proposals for uniform and model laws and work toward their enactment in
their legislatures. Since its inception in 1892, the group has
promulgated more than 200 acts, among them such bulwarks of state
statutory law as the Uniform Commercial Code, the Uniform Probate Code,
and the Uniform Partnership Act.

For further information until August 7, please contact John McCabe,
Katie Robinson or Gabrielle Bamberger at the JW Marriott Hotel in
Washington DC at 202-393-2000. After August 7, John McCabe and Katie
Robinson can be reached at NCCUSL at 312-915-0195, and Gabrielle
Bamberger can be reached at 212-333-5222.