[KLUG Advocacy] [Fwd: [Mono-list] Novell acquires Ximian.]

Tony Gettig advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 12:59:26 -0400

Upon thinking about this further, this could really turn into something
interesting. Think of the origins: Windows started out at the desktop and forged
its way into the server market. Novell led the server market for a long time,
and now they are entering the desktop arena. It's like they started at opposite
ends of the spectrum.

It will be interesting to see how Ximian plays into the Novell product line. Is
it a given that Ximian Desktop will remain open source? Or could/would Novell
"close" some of that?

If they could get Ximian Connector to talk to a GroupWise message store, there
would be great rejoicing here.