[KLUG Advocacy] Bad Programming for Power and Profit.

Andrew Thompson advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
05 Aug 2003 02:53:11 -0400

The online activist portal, Working For Change
(http://www.workingforchange.com/) has been serializing one of the
chapters from Greg Palast's book, The Best Democracy Money Can Buy
(http://gregpalast.com/). This excerpt describes the process by which
over 50,000 Florida voters were inappropriately stripped of their voting
rights in the election of 2000. While this in itself might interest many
of you, I mention it here mainly for the material in part VI:

http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=15378

Between the loose (VERY loose) criteria used to match voters to felon
lists and the lack of, and in fact avoidance of statistical
cross-checks, this has got to be some of the sloppiest data processing
my naive eyes have ever seen.

Anyone interested in reading the entire excerpt may start with part I at
this URL:

http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=15352
--
Andrew Thompson <apthmpsn@imagerie.com>