[KLUG Advocacy] SCO attacks GPL but includes Samba3 in latest Unix.

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
21 Aug 2003 09:42:34 -0400

Darl McBride (CEO of SCO) has been attacking the GPL as well as Linux.

In a keynote speech he recently said:

  "At the end of the day, the GPL is not about making software free;
   it's about destroying value."

Yet, at the same event SCO also announced the incorporation of the
Samba3 release into their latest OpenServer product.

Samba responds here:  http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html

Personally I think Samba showed too much restraint.  I think they should
come out with a new version of the GPL that is basically the same,
except it forbids SCO from using/distributing the software.

And yes Ralph, SCO still sucks ...    :-)

 - BS