[KLUG Advocacy] SCO attacks GPL but includes Samba3 in latest Unix.

Peter Buxton advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:07:52 -0400

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:13:52AM -0400, Bruce Smith was only escaped
   alone to tell thee:

> > > Personally I think Samba showed too much restraint.  I think they should
> > > come out with a new version of the GPL that is basically the same,
> > > except it forbids SCO from using/distributing the software.

> Yeah, I know.  We can't start down that road or we'll end up just like
> SCO & M$ ...   Still it'd be nice to burn SCO on their hypocrisy with
> more than just words.  Maybe the lawyers can use this somehow.

I don't think they need a new version of the GPL. I think Samba can
state, with absolute truth:

1. Samba depends on the GPL for its own protection,
2. Samba depends on many GPL-protected tools, i.e. gcc, binutils, &c.
3. One of the most primary environments for Samba is on GPLed Linux.

The GPL seems to be applied on a per-program basis. In other words, your
GPL-violating distribution of an improperly modifed gcc doesn't seem to
effect your rights to use or distribute Linux. However, I could imagine
Samba might have some means to cause SCO a lot of embarrasment -- I
certainly hope they contacted IBM and offered their own testimony and
complaints to help demonstrate SCO's apparent bad faith, for instance.

I don't think self-defense is a crime (even the pre-emptive sort), nor
is it mean or small-minded.

--
-27
We are the 801. We are the central shaft. -- Brian Eno