[KLUG Advocacy] Re: NY Times on Linux, again...

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:10:57 -0400

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:33:59 -0400, Peter Buxton <somercet@core.com> wrote:

>http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/technology/tech-tech-linux-consumerelectronics.html
>Low cost and the freedom to tweak the software are reasons why eight of
>the world's largest consumer electronics makers, including the numbers
>one and two Sony Corp and Matsushita of Japan, have set up an alliance
>to develop and promote Linux for consumer electronics products, last
>month.
It is interesting that this article implies that Microsoft will be
facing Linux (embedded) in a lot of places as it attempts to penetrate
these markets. I think that this is where Microsoft is really going to
hurt itself badly over the next few years, and it's easy to argue that
this is already in progress.

>"The consumer electronics makers sell millions of devices while their
>profit margins are extremely slim. If they have don't have to pay
>royalties it works directly through to their bottom line," Martin Fink,
>head of Linux activities at Hewlett-Packard, told Reuters in an
>interview.
Right, a great place to employ Linux, for thisand other reasons. Good
article, and worth passing on to people who may make some business
decisions tht are similar in nature.

Microsoft can only manange in this environment with a different business
model than what we've seen in the PC biz....

>There's a lot of drinking in Iraq. But they could give lessons
>to the Scots on grimness in drinking. -- Michael Kelly
And there are Finns who can out-drink and out-grim either.

						Regards,