[KLUG Advocacy] IBM PowerPC 970 (okay, that's the _real_ number) -- WAS: Cringley's predictions for 2003

Bryan J. Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 12:26:05 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Adam Tauno Williams <adam@morrison-ind.com>:
> I know the Power PCs in my RS/6000s *ROCK*!  Don't know anything about
> whatever crap Apple uses in their crappy computers.

Apple stopped using IBM PowerPC chips once they concentrated on a "pure" Power
ISA for 64-bit.  They moved to Motorola.

But now that's going to change with the IBM PowerPC 970:
http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/pc_support/2002-October/002315.html

[ Follow the whole thread.  Someone had some Q&A because they didn't realize the
significance. ]

> Whew Bruce, bit shift some registers out into cache and context switch
> to the relaxd process. :)

But TheBSd is in the kernel, and trapped the call, resulting in its being ignored.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
[ http://thebs.org/files/resume/BryanJonSmith_certifications.pdf ]