[KLUG Advocacy] Re: Netware Apache, PHP, and MySQL -- GNU/DOS ...

Bryan J. Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
04 Jan 2003 18:54:04 -0500

--=-qin7t3t/NF4Bs/iCaKmt

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 13:21, Jeremy Leonard wrote:
> Just curious what people's thoughts are on Novell's announcement of
> supporting Apache, PHP, and MySQL on their NetWare platform.

I'm still wondering when they will change the name of NetWare 6 to
GNU/DOS?

I've written on length about Novell previously, and how they could
nearly saved themselves back in 1993 with Linux.  Had they moved their
core technologies to a Linux kernel, we'd all probably be running
NetWare servers right now.

But instead, all NetWare is today is a set of programs atop of a 32-bit
DPMI (DOS Protected Mode Interface) kernel.  Other than their core
technologies, it's little more than BSD, GNU, X and other Freedom/Open
Source Software atop.

Total clusterfsck if you ask me.

--=20
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
[ http://thebs.org/files/resume/BryanJonSmith_certifications.pdf ]
* A lecture on software piracy from Bill Gates is like a lecture *
* on adultry from the owner of a brothel of other people's wives *

--=-qin7t3t/NF4Bs/iCaKmt

--=-qin7t3t/NF4Bs/iCaKmt--