[KLUG Advocacy] M$ released the PAC?

Justin Buist advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 23:06:24 -0500

I've never actually seen Kerebos single-sign-on implemented, as I've been
employeed at very small companies in the past.  Where I'm currently at is a
totally different situation though and I've now got to remember:

a) My Novell signon password.
b) My Exchange e-mail password.
c) My Lotus Notes password
d) A -slew- of usernames/passwords to VNC/PCAnywhre/Terminal Services into
various development machines.

With Kerebos being available, and now part of AD, I don't see any reason why
this has to exist.  Sure, it could have existed in the past, but with MS
adopting and extending it now, why haven't I seen it implemented here yet?
Has -anybody- seen Kerebos implemented properly at all?  If you have, has it
been the MS version of it?

The only reason I can gather (and I didn't follow the link) that MS might
finally publish this restriction free is because it's been so slowly adopted.
For as much stink as the Kerebos extensions got I would have thought it's
implementation would be wide-spread, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Have I just been working in sheltered environments, or is there real worth
to actually being able to communicate the MS-Kerebos standard?

I'm very interested in hearing other's experiences on the matter.

Thank you,

Justin Buist