[KLUG Advocacy] Linux at Merrill article

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:16:22 -0500

>Interesting article at -
>http://www.infoworld.com/articles/ct/xml/03/01/13/030113ctlinux.xml
>
>And it begins with "AT FINANCIAL SERVICES giant Merrill Lynch, CTO John
>McKinley is blazing a trail to boost productivity and enhance ROI with
>his strategy. And that trail has led him to pursue a company-wide deployment
>of Linux open-source software."
This is actually something that has been going on at Merrill for some time,
pursued by a number of execs, with somewhat different agendae. The first
Linux systems were in production there as early as late 1998.

A number of financial services firms are using Linux; many of them are very
closed mouthed about how it's employed, for a number of reasons. I can
go into that a little if anyone is interested.

>Which is something some KLUG members might have heard something about......

What I really liked about this article is that it was diverse, didn't focus
ML, but started there and took us to several other places, too. I was even
pleased to see the big Microsoft ad at the bottom of the article, I always
suspected they had EXCELLENT taste in ad placement! :)

							Regards,