[KLUG Advocacy] Linux at Merrill article

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:19:32 -0500 (EST)

>>A number of financial services firms are using Linux; many of them
>>are very
>>closed mouthed about how it's employed, for a number of reasons. I
>>can go into that a little if anyone is interested.
>Bob, I would be interested in "hearing" more.  If there is not enough
>interest on this list indicated, please consider mailing me off-line
>at your convenience.  Your call.

I'm interested;  particularly because these firms really define
what "mission critical", and they tend to have large complicated and
integrated applications.  This can be a far more convincing argument when
discussing Linux's glass-house viability than the "Samba is a kick-butt
file server" line.  Albiet Samba servers I've read about with 200,000
users are pretty darn impressive.
(http://samba-survey.sernet.de/commit.html?action=info&id=155)

There is a companion article to this InfoWorld article as well,
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/ct/xml/03/01/13/030113ctinsider.xml