[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] Tales of the hacked X-Box: Linux on MS hardware....

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
10 Jul 2003 08:47:33 -0400

> The x-box has only 64Mb of RAM.  Again, why sould someone want to use
> one of these as a PC?  I have *ROUTERS* with more RAM than that.

I've heard that game boxes can be clustered together cheaply to make a
supercomputer.  Not sure about the Xbox, but the Sony playstation can:

  http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-1010037.html
  http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-1010621.html
  http://arrakis.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ps2/

In fact these guys spent about $50,000 to build a supercomputer that is
ranked in the top 500 supercomputers in the world!  (and runs Linux! :)

But Sony is nicer than some other game box makers, in they provide a
Linux kit for the playstation.  No hacking required!

Bruce Smith                bruce@armintl.com
System Administrator / Network Administrator
Armstrong International, Inc.
Three Rivers, Michigan  49093  USA
http://www.armstrong-intl.com/