[KLUG Advocacy] 2.6 impressions?

Peter Buxton advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:17:45 -0400

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:26:38PM -0400, Adam Williams was only escaped
   alone to tell thee:

> Anyone out there trying out the 2.6pre series. If so, any impressions?

2.6.0-test1 here:

Athlon 900 MHz
256 MB RAM
VIA something mobo (Asus?)
Promise 2026x ATAPI 100
Voodoo 3000

It's stable. I've had only one problem, when I tried ripping
(cdparanoia) from an ATAPI drive under the IDE-SCSI interface. I got a
number of errors I didn't get under pure ATAPI. (The only reason I had
IDE-SCSI up in the first place was to use cdrecord, which, oddly enough,
worked fine.)

Your big problems will be underused architectures, i.e., non-intel.

Data corruption: I'm using ext3 and Reiser 3.6 without problems.  pppd
works fine. If you run BIND9, you'll see:

process `named' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT

but it works fine.

--
-64