[KLUG Advocacy] [Fwd: Re: Interesting thread "Possible GPL Violations By Many Wireless Vendors"]

John Bridleman advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:59:37 -0400

* Bruce Smith (bruce@armintl.com) wrote:
> Interesting ...
> Subject: Re: Interesting thread "Possible GPL Violations By Many Wireless Vendors"
> Date: 16 Jun 2003 20:50:55 -0400
>
> http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/latest_print.html#16
>

>From /.:
- http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/09/0111209&mode=thread&tid=109&tid=167&tid=187&tid=99

In response a post which raised the question of whether Linksys was in violation of the GPL by not distributing, nor offering links to, the source code for the software controlling their 802.11g base stations. A representative from Linksys-PR sent in this note about the "missing" source code:

    Linksys is a strong proponent of both Linux and the Open Source movement. The code within our routers is using User Space code without linking dynamically or statically to any GPL (GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE) code. Any code which does not have a static or dynamic link to anything covered by the General Public License is not GPL'ed, and can be considered closed source.

    We regret it took some time to respond to this posting. To assure timely responses to inquiries like this in the future, please use the following procedure which complies with the requirements of the General Public License:

    1. Please put your request in writing or in an email addressed to info@Linksys.com
    2. You have to request the code for the specific modules you want. It is not valid to issue a request for any "code you may be using."
    3. Technically, you are also supposed to provide us with a self-addressed stamped envelope, along with funds to cover the cost of providing the code to you. But Linksys will handle requests on a case-by-case basis. Thank you."
--
John Bridleman / www.bridleman.org