[KLUG Advocacy] the new macs

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:03:24 -0400

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:48:52 -0400, Adam Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org> wrote:

>>check out Apple.com. dual 2Ghz 64-bit IBM-powered monsters they are
>>going to be shipping, starting september. Also, OS X 10.3, Panther,
>>will be out in september. :) www.apple.com to see a side-view of one,
>>click on it for the specs.
>I looked at these, basically you are buying a stripped down RS/6000 (now
>called P* series) in a swanky "post-modern" (never understood that
>adjective in this context) case.  These babies should FLY!  IDE drives
>attached to something like this just turns the stomach, but Oh well.

It'll get fixed at some point, that;'s my bet. Apple has shown a tendency to
go SCSI, and I bet they will again here, once/when it ships hot, and the
user base demands it (explicitly or implicitly).

>>http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther if you want to see features of the
>>new OS.
>>Exposé looks like a MUCH cooler way to have 20 apps open than multiple
>>desktops. also, fast user switching has also made it to the mac, with a
>>cool 3D cube transition (like they already use in Apple Keynote).
Coolness ain't utility. I'll jhave to see this before I see further comment.
I can switch desktops as fast as I can press the mouse buttons on far less
computer than this, and there I am...add ONE mouseclick to that and it'[s
probably not as facile.

>Maybe you can give us a demo?  Still have open dates in 2003. :)
A good idea! These things have to be seen and played with to be
appreciated.

>>also, how about video conferencing via AIM? They have the first working
>>implementation. They were talking to a dude in France during the
>>keynote.
>I don't really understand "video conferencing via AIM".  It is an H323
>connection, they've just added a plugin to snarf the remote IP into a
>netmeeting-work-alike.
OK, perhaps "video conferencing in the AIM framework, without confining
licencing from M$, or the cost".
Better? :)

>>ok, that was probably too much of me tooting my Apple horn
>Darwin is Open Source,  IMHO a win for Apple is a win for Linux.  And now
>that IE has been dumped - to some degree a win for Apple is a win for
>Internet users everywhere.
And the more Linux and OS-X are around in similar environments, the more
applications will converge (like Open Office).

							Regards,