[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] (OT) Churchill

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:34:33 -0400

On 03 Oct 2003 16:34:48 -0400, Bruce Smith <bruce@armintl.com> wrote:

>I have no desire to debate the "rube" label, but I recently read some
>trivia about Churchill that IMO is worth sharing.
>
>Did you know that Churchill decided he was going to watch the Normandy
>D-day landing first hand from the deck of a British warship?  He was so
>determined to go through with this, that Ike tried many different
>tactics but was unable to talk Churchill out of this idea.  Churchill
>said he would simply assign himself to the royal navy for the day and
>there was nothing that Ike could do about it.
>
>After realizing that Ike wasn't going to change Churchill's mind, Ike
>finally went to King George and ask him to speak to Churchill about
>this.  After much time and effort, Churchill finally conceded.
>
>I'd never heard this story before, and found it very interesting, FWIW.

Yes, it's an interesting story. Churchill had a deep and abiding feeling for
the British Monarchy (I'd hate to see how conflicted he would be, based on
the recent shenanigans of the Royal Family), and he knew King George well.
Both men respected each other, and were friends. The King prevailed upon
Churchill not to go (but did not command him, as he could have done), and
he finally concurred.

For all of his faults, mistakes, and defects (being a rube not one of them,
IMO), Churchill is easily my choice for "Man of The Century" (20th, that is).
Time Magazine chose Albert Einstein, but WC was on the very short list.

							Regards,