[KLUG Advocacy] [Fwd: SourceForge.net Sitewide Update: September 30, 2003]

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
06 Oct 2003 20:32:48 -0400

This is a newsletter I get from sourceforge.  I was amazed by the amount
of development that is hosted there!  For people who say there isn't any
software for Linux, show them these numbers (from the newsletter below):

*  Number of Projects: 68,800
*  Number of Registered Users: 706,833

And Sourceforge, although the largest, is only ONE of MANY sites that
host GPL software!  WOW!!!

 - BS

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: SourceForge.net Team <noreply@sourceforge.net>
To: bruce@armintl.com
Subject: SourceForge.net Sitewide Update: September 30, 2003
Date: 03 Oct 2003 23:11:04 -0700

(You have acquired this SF.net update because you requested to be on the
list. Honest! An explanation is at the bottom of this email, and also
info on how to be extracted from the list)

0. Intro
1. Site Enhancements
2. CVS Update
3. Project of the month: Tight VNC
4. Stats and Top Projects

SF.net Sitewide Update Sponsored by Thawte:
Get Thawte's NEW Step-by-Step SSL Guide for Apache
In this guide you will find out how to test, purchase, install and use
a Thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server.
Get your copy of this new guide now:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6246579;8447126;w

Dear SourceForge.net User

SourceForge.net is approaching its 4-year birthday.   Forty-six months
ago the site started off with only a handful of second-hand computers,
two megabits of bandwidth, a few hundred projects, and a goal.   The
goal was, and continues to be, to create a place for Open Source
projects and the Open Source community to thrive and be successful.
When we launched the site, we never dreamed that it would be so
successful, or that its growth rate would be so high.  Today, we host
nearly 70,000 projects on 85 computers.  The amount of bandwidth we
consume at any one time, including the mirrors, is approximately 225
megabits.   We continue to add about 700 new users and 70 new projects
per day.  In fact, we just crossed our 700,000 registered user
milestone.

Since SF.net's inception, we have offered and continue to offer all of our
services for free. This is something that we are very proud of, and
something we will continue to do.

The site itself, as you can imagine, is very expensive to run.    We
just purchased a lot of additional equipment to manage the growth, and
have hired addititiojnal SF.net programmers to code new
features/functionality that you will see shortly.

If you like what we are doing on SourceForge.net, and you want to help
out the site,  here is your chance.  To help cover the costs we have
added a 'donate' link  on our site navigation system.

If you do help us and make a donation, we'll place an icon next to
your user name signifying that you helped cover the cost of running
SF.NET.  In addition, your user name will be listed on our donation
page, which will be linked from the front page.

The link is http://sourceforge.net/donate

Thank you in advance.

BTW: Since I know people will ask: No, we are not doing this to try to
'save' SourceForge.net.  The site is not in financial trouble, nor is it
going away.  Our parent company, if you read our quarterly financial
statements, continues to show steady improvement.   We are adding this
donation feature because the site is very expensive to operate and we
want to continue to add features and functionality that we know you
want.   If you like what we are doing for your project, if you like what
we are doing for the Open Source community, now you can make a donation
and help us out.   Thank you.

As always, if you have any questions or feedback regarding
SourceForge.net, feel free to email me directly at pat@sf.net.  Note: I
always try to reply quickly to your emails.  After Thursday (Oct 2nd), I
will be traveling, so there will be a delay in getting back to you; but
I will read and answer your email upon my return.

Thank you.

Pat-

Patrick McGovern
Director, SourceForge.net
pat@sourceforge.net

Site Enhancements
The SourceForge.net team is continually working to improve the
SourceForge.net site.  A number of site enhancements have been made in
the past few weeks.  Among these enhancements are  the new Monitoring
and Mailings sub-pages of the My SF.net page
(https://sourceforge.net/my).

The Monitoring page (which replaces the monitoring-related sections
previously on the My SF.net page) includes a complete listing of all
resources monitored by your account (including monitored Tracker items,
not previously shown in our monitored resources listing).  From this
page, accessible using the "Monitoring" link on the My SF.net page, you
may learn how to monitor Tracker items, Forums and File Releases, and
remove existing monitors as needed.

The Mailings page provides a complete listing of all types of mail
generated by the SourceForge.net site and services.  A listing of the
mailing lists to which you are subscribed is also provided, allowing
easy access to the list archives or to change your list subscriptions
(this is a new, often-requested inclusion of information from our
mailing list servers, updated once weekly).

We are also continuing our work to enhance the usability of the
SourceForge.net site.  Although not an exhaustive list of our recent
enhancements, our work includes the following: A number of minor
improvements have been made to the Favorites pull-down menu, located in
the upper left-hand corner of each page, which permits you to easily
access your site bookmarks and your member projects.  To help reduce
issues in the user account registration process, we now require new
users to verify they have properly keyed their account information (this
helps reduce delays in account generation).  Further, new links have
been added for Project Administrators to the Project Summary pages to
permit easier access to change project description and Trove
categorization details.

We appreciate the feedback provided by site end-users and are Continuing
our efforts to address reported issues, and to add time-saving features
to the SourceForge.net site.  Should you encounter an issue with any
SourceForge.net site or service features, please submit a Support
Request at:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=1&atid=200001

CVS Update
(This section was sent to project admins last week)
As you may have noticed, CVS is visibly having growing pains. Due to
system load, we have had to move anonymous checkouts to our backup
server. This has made the code of our 70,000 projects more accessible to
project developers. I know this temporary solution has frustrated some
of you and I want to apologize for that.

This is what we are doing about it: We have 6 new systems that have been
installed in our co-location facility. These are very fast Xeon systems,
with very fast RAID. These systems will improve performance by a
tremendous amount. (As a comparison, our current setup has two systems,
one primary and one backup, that are three years old with slow
processors and aging disk arrays).

In a previous sitewide email we proclaimed that the faster hardware
would be online last month (August). This was the goal but we had some
unexpected delays. These delays included late hardware delivery,
additional electrical requirements in our colo cage, and a host of other
issues. That's the bad news. The good news is we are very close to
having this fixed.

As of right now, we are working around the clock to get these new boxes
online to give relief to the performance issues. Our primary CVS server
is copying 15 million files to these six new machines. Since this box is
also serving CVS checkins and checkouts to the community simultaneously,
the data transfer has been slow going. During the last 4 days we have
transfered 40% of the data. We expect the rest of the data to be
transfered by Thursday of next week, and the new boxes online shortly
there after. Hang in there, we will have this behind us in the very near
term.

Update: Two of the six systems are now online.  It is likely you have
already have already noticed a difference.  CVS stats will be back
online shortly as well.

SF.NET Project of the Month: Tight VNC
VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote
display system that allows a user to view a computing 'desktop'
environment not only on the machine where it is running, but from
anywhere on the Internet and on a wide variety of system architectures.
VNC is a very useful for administering a remote computer in the same
office or around the world. It is also often used for training or
supporting computer users visually over the phone.

TightVNC, SourceForge.net's September project of the month, is an
enhanced VNC Client/Server that is designed to operate in low bandwidth
situations. Its primary developer, Constantin Kaplinsky, is a programmer
located in Russia.

Project Page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vnc-tight/

Stats and Top Projects.
Number of Projects: 68,800
Number of Registered Users: 706,833

Daily Stats for September 26, 2003

SF.NET : 2,019,737 pages served
SF.NET project web space : 5,141,411 pages served
Total Pages: 7,161,148

Open Source Files downloaded in 24 period: 564,390
Outgoing Mailing list emails: 1,610,139

Top 25 Projects:

1. Gaim
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim
Gaim is a GTK2-based instant messenger application. It supports multiple
protocols via modules, including AIM, ICQ, Yahoo!, MSN, Jabber, IRC,
Napster, Gadu-Gadu and Zephyr. It has many common features found in
other clients, as well as many unique featur

2. eGroupWare, Enterprise collab suite
https://sourceforge.net/projects/egroupware
eGroupWare is a multi-user web-based groupware suite written in PHP.
Included are modules for Email, Adressbook, Calender, Infolog (Notes,
Todo, Phone Calls), CMS, Forum, Bookmarks, Wiki, Knowledgebase, Polls
and ...Also included is a powerfull API.

3. AWStats
https://sourceforge.net/projects/awstats
Advanced Web Statistics (AWStats) is a free powerful and featureful web
server logfile analyzer that shows you all your Web (but also FTP or
Mail) statistics including visits, unique visitors, pages, hits, hours,
search engines, keywords, robots, etc...

4. Tiki CMS/Groupware
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tikiwiki
Tiki is a powerful CMS/Groupware. Features: article, forum, newsletter,
blog, file/image gallery, wiki, drawing, tracker, directory, poll/survey
& quiz, FAQ, chat, banner, webmail, calendar, category, ACL, etc in
Single Sign-on or LDAP.(PHP/MySQL/Smarty)

5. guliverkli
https://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli
Home of VobSub, Media Player Classic (MPC) and other misc utils.

6. WinMerge
https://sourceforge.net/projects/winmerge
A visual text file differencing and merging tool for Win32 platforms.
Useful for determing what has changed between project versions, and then
merging changes between versions

7. wxWindows
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxwindows
wxWindows is a free C++ framework that facilitates cross platform
software development, including GUIs, threads, sockets, database, file
system access, etc.

8. POPFile - Automatic Email Classification
https://sourceforge.net/projects/popfile
POPFile is an email classification tool with a Naive Bayes classifier, a
POP3 proxy and a web interface.It runs on most platforms and with most
email clients.

9. phpWebSite Content Management System
https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpwebsite
Developed by the Web Technology Group at Appalachian State University,
phpWebSite provides a complete web site content management system.All
client output is XHTML 1.0 and meets the W3C's Web Accessibility
Initiative requirements.

10. FileZilla
https://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
FileZilla is a fast FTP client for Windows with a lot of
features.FileZilla Server is a reliable FTP server.

11. Compiere ERP + CRM Business Solution
https://sourceforge.net/projects/compiere
Smart ERP+CRM solution for Small-Medium Enterprises in the global
marketplace covering all areas from customer management, supply chain
and accounting. For $2-200M revenue companies looking for "brick and
click" first tier functionality.

12. phpMyAdmin
https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin
phpMyAdmin is a tool written in PHP intended to handle the
administration of MySQL over the WWW. Currently it can create and drop
databases, create/drop/alter tables, delete/edit/add fields, execute
any SQL statement, manage keys on fields.

13. phpGedView
https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview
The phpGedView project parses GEDCOM 5.5 genealogy files and displays
them on the internet in a format similar to PAF.All it requires to run
is a php enabled web server and a gedcom file.It is easily customizable
for use on many different web sites.

14. net-snmp
https://sourceforge.net/projects/net-snmp
net-snmp provides tools and libraries relating to the Simple
NetworkManagement Protocol including: An extensible agent, An SNMP
library,tools to request or set information from SNMP agents, tools
togenerate and handle SNMP traps, etc.

15. ScummVM
https://sourceforge.net/projects/scummvm
ScummVM is a cross-platform interpreter for several point-and-click
adventure engines. This includes Simon the Sorcerer by AdventureSoft,
Beneath a Steel Sky by Revolution, and most SCUMM-based games used by
LucasArts in titles such as: Maniac Mansion,....

16. Dev-C++
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dev-cpp
Dev-C++ is an full-featured Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
for Win32. It uses GCC, Mingw or Cygwin as compiler and libraries set.

17. SpamBayes anti-spam
https://sourceforge.net/projects/spambayes
Bayesian anti-spam classifier written in Python.

18. Gallery
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gallery
A slick, intuitive web based photo gallery with authenticated users and
privileged albums.Easy to install, configure and use.Photo management
includes automatic thumbnails, resizing, rotation, etc.User privileges
make this great for communities.

19. AMSN
https://sourceforge.net/projects/amsn
AMSN (Alvaro\'s Messenger) is a MSN messenger clone for
linux/unix/windows/mac. It features multilanguage support, file
transfers, new graphical interface, emoticons, multiple profiles
support, dock icon, sound events, email notification, url processing.

20. dotproject
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dotproject
PHP web-based project management framework that includes modules for
companies, projects, tasks (with Gantt charts), forums, files,
calendar, contacts, tickets/helpdesk, multi-language support,
user/module permissions and themes

21. PCGen -- An RPG Character Generator
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen
PCGen is a java role-playing game character generator and maintenance
program. All datafiles are ASCII so they can be modified by users, and
are available through the pcgendm project. An XML conversion is
underway.

22. TightVNC
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vnc-tight
TightVNC is an improved version of VNC, great free remote-desktop tool.
The improvements include new bandwidth-friendly "tight" encoding, local
cursor support on the client side, enhanced GUI, many bugfixes, and
more.

23. jBpm.org - java Business Process Mgmt
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jbpm
jBpm is a WorkFlow Management System. Business processes must be
expressed in process archives in a simple and powerfull language. Users
or systems perform single steps of the process.jBpm maintains the
state, logs and performs all automated actions.

24. Gimp-Print - Top Quality Printer Drivers
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print
A very high quality package of printer drivers for Ghostscript and
CUPS.This project also maintains the Print plug-in for the Gimp from
the same code base.

25. DC++
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dcplusplus
This is a project aimed at producing a C++ version of the popular
DirectConnect client, enhancing on functionality and performance. Later
on, a hub (server) is planned.

----------------------
When the SF.NET team sends out a site-wide email,
we sometimes see replies that look like this: "Hey! I didn't ask to be
on this list! You spammer. I hate you! I hate your dog! (insert other
colorful phrases here)". The truth is, when you registered on
SourceForge.net there was a check box that said "Receive Site-wide
updates, low volume". You left it checked when you submitted the
registration form, hence you are receiving this email. We send these
updates every 4 to 6 weeks, so it truly is low volume. However if you
want off, this is not a problem. Simply click on the link.

You receive this message because you subscribed to SourceForge
site mailing(s). You may opt out from some of them selectively
by logging in to SourceForge and visiting your Account Maintenance
page (http://sourceforge.net/account/), or disable them altogether
by visiting following link: