[KLUG Advocacy] Linux tutor.

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:11:15 -0400

> I don't think it will take years.  I think the process started with
> Windows 2000 and all the feeble attempts they made to manage memory
> between programs and assign priority to a dual layer O/S.  Now they have
> to market a new O/S every year to make up for it while they still try to
> perfect it.  Active directory (Novell rip-off) wasn't even a widely used

I think it is really strong to call AD an NDS rip-off.  NDS was hardly
the first directory-enabled system, and was built of top of LDAP which
was derived from X.500.  This was simply the next natural evolutionary
step for the domain model; as naturally as Kerberos/LDAP is replacing
NIS which replaced pushed flat files.

> concept before they came out with XP to fix the problems with 2000.

Every OS release exists to fix the problems of its predecessor.