[KLUG Advocacy] DMCA S U C K S ! ! !

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:57:07 -0400 (EDT)

>> This is just so pathetic!
>Telling people how to disable Window's autorun feature is a violation of
>the DMCA?

Yep, because your disabling a possible avenue for copyright protection.

>I bet that is documented on microsoft.com somewhere, so that
>means that M$ should be sued too!

Holding my breath.....

>Personally I think the guy should sue the CD maker because they are
>installing anti-copying software on his computer without his permission!

Er?  Read the tiny print on the outside of that package lately?

You bought that $11.99 CD - they now own your a$$.  Or at least that is
what their lawyers will say until there is a judge nearby,  then they seem
to get a touch more conciliatory.  Over-wording of license agreements,
contracts, etc... is standard practice;  if push comes to shove most
judges "thin the woods" of unreasonable or absurd clauses.