[KLUG Advocacy] DMCA S U C K S ! ! !

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
10 Oct 2003 14:58:06 -0400

> >> This is just so pathetic!
> >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3180212.stm
> >Telling people how to disable Window's autorun feature is a violation of
> >the DMCA?
>
> Yep, because your disabling a possible avenue for copyright protection.

I guess we better keep our mouth shut about how someone MIGHT be able to
copy a CD in Linux ....    ;-)

#1 rule of suing:  go for the guy with the deepest pockets!

> >Personally I think the guy should sue the CD maker because they are
> >installing anti-copying software on his computer without his permission!
>
> Er?  Read the tiny print on the outside of that package lately?

No, I can't remember the last time I bought a CD.  And I've NEVER-EVER
downloaded ANY music, from the internet or anywhere else.

All the music that goes into my ears comes from the radio, and most of
my drive time is taken up by audio books - and I rent those.

> You bought that $11.99 CD - they now own your a$$.  Or at least that is
> what their lawyers will say until there is a judge nearby,  then they seem
> to get a touch more conciliatory.  Over-wording of license agreements,
> contracts, etc... is standard practice;  if push comes to shove most
> judges "thin the woods" of unreasonable or absurd clauses.

I guess I won't be buying any CD's in the near future either.

Bruce Smith                bruce@armintl.com
System Administrator / Network Administrator
Armstrong International, Inc.
Three Rivers, Michigan  49093  USA
http://www.armstrong-intl.com/