[KLUG Advocacy] Lindows/"I Hate Linux" rant....

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:10:17 -0400

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:40:42 -0400, Adam Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org> wrote:

>>I think this belongs more on advocacy so I'll CC it there...
>>> previously scratched plans to post a link and respond to the guy because
>>> I'd pretty much decided it wasn't worth it. Rereading it, though, I
>>> think maybe it should get a mention: http://tailsteak.netherweb.com/
>>I read that little rant (as well as a few other articles on this guy's
>>site).  Basically, the rant is saying "I hate Linux because I am too
>>lazy to figure it out.  Change is hard."  (paraphrase)

Very common; evidence of consumerism IMO. If something is good and needed,
it's often worth figuring out, especially if there are no viable alternatives.

>>What gets me is that he seems to like the political side of Linux (free,
>>open, an alternative to microsoft) but he's not willing to put in a few
>>hours to learn the technical side.
I expect he doesn't think it's "a few hours", and perhaps he isn't interested
in learning command line stuff.

>>....It's like somebody who really thinks
>>candidate X is good for the country but cannot be bothered to go to the
>>polls to cast a vote.
Or register...

>>He could have learned all the useful commands in
>>the time it took him to write that rant.
You think so, clearly he doesn't. It's the oldest story in the world, people
spend so much energy fighting things, rather than learning about them. Even
fighting ideas you don't like is better once you've learned about them!

>Or he could have just done his file management via Nautilus.  I know the
>command line stuff,  but - what is easier than <click> <Del> (easier than
>cd /blah; rm -f file, IMHO)
Dunno, look real scary to me! :)
I don't know Nautilus... is there a certification course I can take to
learn stuff like that? :)

>I notice the site's lack of deep technical content concerning ANY
>subject (including Winbloze).  So this guy can call himself a tech guru
>all he wants;  the proof is in the PDF.
This guy calls HIMSELF a technical guru?!? Sheesh! Where I come from the
term "guru" is applied by OTHER poeple! I NEVER bill myself as a guru or
any other kind of honorific title; it seems arrogant. I've also had the
real honor of speaking to audiences where there were REAL gurus.

>>Where would we be if everybody just took the path of least resistance?
>Probably not too far from where we are.
Well, we're not bashing stones over each others'' heads any more... well,
maybe we are, but we have more choices now.. and we have toasters, writing,
and the wheel... so we've gone somewhere in the last few thousand years...

							Regards,