[KLUG Advocacy] Use Linux where it fits formerly ... Lindows/"I Hate Linux" rant....

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:43:18 -0400 (EDT)

>>I think that this guys rant is not as much against Linux but against
>>militant users that he has run across....
>Wasn't my impression, but OK. It does seem that there were some personal
>characterization made about some Linux users, which seemed rather
>inappropriate to me.
>The sooner we realize this, and sooner we'll be alble to devlop a realistic,
>picture of what is going on, and perhaps what is best for particular users and
>situations.

And the purpose of this list is, at least in part, for the hashing out of
that "realistic picture of what is going on".

>Just as it is not realistic to demand that Linux be used for everything, it is
>also not realisitc to recognize that Linux is making real inroads, and
>continues to be more adaptable and usable today thatn it was a year ago, even
>six months ago. No platform is perfoect or ideal, and each one seems to seek
>a somewhat different user base.

Right, I think the argument here isn't even that Linux is better (or not)
than Windows, etc...  The claim was put forward that Linux is simply not
suited for use as a 'mere-users' desktop.  In fact I agree with the poster
that RH8, in general, is not.  But XD2 is a different animal,  and I have
multiple people who use it, and these aren't geeks.