[KLUG Advocacy] word processors / office packages - Was: total crap

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
16 Sep 2003 11:37:49 -0400

> So otherwise, is he happy with a Linux desktop?

Pretty much.  He has a few minor complaints, like he doesn't like
mounting and unmounting drives, but he found a Gnome applet that
simplifies the process.

He's above average when it comes to a typical "user" (MIS management -
he can program, but doesn't know much about sys/net-admin stuff).

However he's just the person I need to convince that Linux is ready for
the desktop in other departments around here, and he's been using it on
his desktop for quite awhile now (started with RH-8).  Once he is
satisfied with an office package, I think we're ready to deploy
elsewhere in the company.  Maybe not everywhere, since things like
M$-Access users create other challenges to overcome.

He contacted the Textmaker guys about a floating/site license, but they
don't offer that yet.  They said they'll get back to us ...

Bruce Smith                bruce@armintl.com
System Administrator / Network Administrator
Armstrong International, Inc.
Three Rivers, Michigan  49093  USA
http://www.armstrong-intl.com/