[KLUG Advocacy] Linux & Text Books

Adam Tauno Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:18:51 -0400

Here is a quasi-interesting article about Linux in college textbooks.
http://www.linuxinsider.com/perl/story/33301.html

I'm not sure what the point is, and given that most textbooks never get
opened, I don't know if any of this really matters.  But quotes like
this are amusing -

"Unix also poses some security problems, because multiple users and jobs
can access the same file simultaneously"."

Ha! Thats funny.

Reminds me of the time, **two years ago**, when a Morrison employee
brought in his daughters High School text book to show me the section
where it talks about the fact that "someday computers will probably
communicate directly with each other over phone lines".

Ah, the joys of living in a culture that values and esteems intellectual
rigor.