[KLUG Advocacy] Frontpage is the spawn of Satan

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:32:44 -0400

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:43:07 -0400, Jamie McCarthy <jamie@mccarthy.vg> wrote:

>Key phrase:
>> looks like poop in any browser but IE.

>MS wants it this way.  Open standards are a threat to their hegemony.
>The carrot is for webpage designers (ease of use).
Sure. What I posted earlier is another way of saying that the products
are the reflection and embodiment of what the implementors see as the
value proposition. I don't think more need be said about this WRT Microsoft.

As time goes on, the "ease of use" argument gets weaker. As maintenance and
increased flexibilty in the end product become more important, and as more
choices become available, the grip of products like Frontpage gets weaker over
time.

>The result is that webpage viewers (everyone else) see IE as the best
>browser.
Yes, see above. THis is part of the value proposition for the VENDOR.

>This is the kind of muscle that only a monopoly can exert, and as
>history shows us, it works _great_.
Probably, in the short and even medium term. Longterm, I'm a lot more dubious.

Here's another question: How many people (Tony, this is for you, too) would
be happy with products like Frontage, Dreamweaver, etc. (as web development
tools, ignoring the additedly considerable issue Jamie raises here) if you
don't have to look at the resulting code?

							Regards,