[KLUG Advocacy] Really cool article

Rusty Yonkers therustycook at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 17:44:18 EDT 2004

> Oh, please. That is just silly.  Your going to do a full-text index
> for
> twenty jillabytes of goop - and your result is going to be
> meaningless.

Hmmm, I wonder how Google would want to solve this one?  I have heard
rumors that they want to eventually be the search engine on your
desktop too.  Also, how about a more feature rich version of locate
that would index everything nightly for faster lookups.  Or it could
do an initial indexing and then on the fly update the indexes
accordingly.

> Eh?  Does he understand the .NET architecture at all.  Java was
> theoretically platform neutral, .NET is language neutral.  That's
> the
> whole friggin' point.

I think that most people don't really understand .NET yet except as a
word you need to throw around to sound up-to-date.

> witty Javascript developers. Two new web applications, Gmail and
> Oddpost, both email apps, do a really decent job of working around
> or
> completely solving some of these issues. And users don't seem to
> care
> about the little UI glitches and slowness of web interfaces. Almost
> all
> the normal people I know are perfectly happy with web-based email,
> for
> some reason, no matter how much I try to convince them that the
> rich
> client is, uh, richer."

Yeah the stand-alone client is richer but I love my Yahoo webmail.  I
can get to it no matter where I am at or what the operating system
just by accessing the Internet.  I love the functionality!  If I had
my email on a PDA that I had wireless access on then I may think
differently but I wonder how feature rich that would be?  I also love
that I have addresses and calendar and notepad/memo functionality
with Yahoo mail.  Oh and they just up'ed the storage to 100MB for the
free account.  Of course if I use IE on Windows I can get additional
functionality but I have no desire to move away from mozilla/firefox.
 For people on the go webmail rocks!!!!

> "Which means, suddenly, Microsoft's API doesn't matter so much. Web
> applications don't require Windows."

For the most part it is true.  There are not many sites that are
crippled if you do not use Windows and IE.  Internal to companies
that may not always be true but on the Web I have not had any
problems.  It is more important to have flash loaded than to be using
IE on Windows on the Web of today!!

=====
Russell C. Yonkers Jr.
CNE, MCP, A+, CCNA, Linux+, Server+, Network+ certified
Currently using SuSE 9, Mac OS X, Windows 2000, and WinXP
And yes I run a network at home with Linux and Windows servers
See my personal website http://www.geocities.com/therustycook
Or my consulting site at http://www.atomicsupergeek.com