[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] DRM in every Samsung machine

John Bridleman advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:52:23 -0500

* Adam Williams wrote:
> DRM is not the problem; STOP ELECTING IDIOTS!!!

They may very well be idiots but I doubt it. Ignorant? You bet. I can't imagine what it would take to keep up with all the issues.

You gotta remember that these people are inclined to believe those things that they hear most often - even if it's not true. So, what's going on is the lobbyists are winning.

> The problem is a
> tragically ignorant population (and that blood [along with lots of other
> blood] is on the hands [and head, arms, and legs] of our educational
> institutions).

Well we certainly aren't generating to many thinking individuals from our educational system. We teach our kids by repetition and memorization. The schools don't teach our kids how to learn or any problem solving. They don't even teach the lids how to study.

> We regulate firearms, telephone bills, nuclear weapons,
> etc...  and all those can more-or-less be justified to reasonable people
> because they have some idea what firearms, telephones, and nuclear
> weapons are; information technology is an different and sadder story.

In what way?

> The purpose of government is to govern, the problem is that a democracy
> full of people bewildered by what is going on won't be able to muster
> the strength to make government do its job.

Please remember that we live in a Republic, not a Democracy. Of course that doesn't mean that most of us aren't bewildered. IMHO, most people don't care until it affects them. By then, it's too late.
--
John Bridleman / www.bridleman.org