[KLUG Advocacy] New SuSe User

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sun, 23 May 2004 19:37:38 -0400

> > > 3. On the other laptop (from the same DVD) the install sailed through
> > > without issue for a GNOME install.
> > Ditto.
> > > 4. Acrobat Reader is included!
>
> And the browser plugin is even automatically installed!
>
> > So is realplayer (on the purchased box set anyway).
>
> Cool.

I haven't tried that plugin yet.

As far as flash that JB mentioned, it's installed and working on my
system.  I don't remember if it was automatically installed or I
manually selected it when I was looking through the list of available
software during the install.

> > > 9. GNOME install is pretty good, but has a few holes. ...
> > How long before XD2 is available, I wonder ...
>
> Never. ...

Darn, just when I'm ready to try it!

> The future of XD is unclear at this point; there maybe a Novell Desktop,
> or I've heard of an XD4.  So we just wait and see.

What are all those guys at Ximian going to do?
I know, work on the commercial products ...

> It appears that at least CUPS is integrated, so I can bear to wait.
>
> I haven't tested using the VFS via Open Office,  it will hurt if that is
> broken now.  Of course ANY use of the VFS in FC2 would pretty much crash
> nautilus.

Let us know what you find out.

> > The problem is described here, along with a link to the floppy image:
> > http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/04/91_xfsfix.html
>
> Okay, on a laptop "any partition except root" kind of sucks.

Yeah.  I'm going to register my box set and report the problem.  I'm
hoping they'll give me a new CD set that works (but not betting on it).

> > > 17. Battery applett does not work, so there is ONE thing that worked
> > > under Fedora that doesn't under SuSe.
> > Install and start acpid, then it works (in Gnome).  You an also program
> > other acpid events, like run shutdown if you press the power button,
> > lock the screen if you close the lid, etc.   Kinda cool!  :-)
>
> Will do, sounds good.
>
> > It's a different service (similar to acpid, forgot the name) to make the
> > battery applet work under KDE.  You cannot run the two at the same time.
>
> Don't care about KDE.  I know, your shocked.

Yeah, I mentioned that for other readers.

> > Is it safe to say that you're happier with SuSE 9.1 than FC2 overall?
>
> A deep and booming - "YES!".

I wonder how the commercial Redhat products compare?

I wouldn't mind paying for RH, after all I paid for SuSE 9.1, but I
don't like paying for updates.  Oh well, I'm sticking with SuSE.

 - BS