[KLUG Advocacy] Re:Very cool article about using open source in the home!!!

Bruce Smith bruce at armintl.com
Fri Oct 1 13:35:37 EDT 2004

> > http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040930.html
>
> Weird, is this Cringley being optimistic?
>
> ... If that happens it will become illegal before you can say "Stale
> Triscuit!" ...
> ... The above has GOT to be just at illegal. ...
> ... Nice for him;  the providers will catch on soon. ...
> ... Middle men don't take kindly to being squeezed out, ...
> ... Except that replacing the firmware in a device is probably illegal.
>     Or will be tomorrow. ...
> ... Yea, because that would so totally suck. ...
> ... but my prediction: "Never happen". ...
> ... they'll find a way to shut it down. ...

Are you a pessimist?

If so, I am too, and I've been thinking about starting a club.
Wanna join?  We could call it the "Pessimist's Club".
Optimists have their own club, so why not?

On second though, even though there are a lot of pessimists, we'll never
get enough people to join.  And it'll be a pain to organize.  And we'll
never get people to volunteer to do any of the work.  And scheduling
meetings at a time good for everyone will be a hassle.  And finding a
meeting location will be next to impossible.  And people will be too
cheap to pay dues.  And then we have to decide on something to be
pessimistic about at the meetings.  And there is all the legal hassle of
becoming a legal organization.  And lawyer fees.  And our lawyers won't
like us being pessimistic about the legal system.  And, ah, screw it.

Forget I mentioned the idea.  It'll never work!!!   ;->

 - BS