[KLUG Advocacy] A nice 'lemon' article

Andrew Thompson apthmpsn at imagerie.com
Tue Oct 19 00:34:22 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 18:21, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > Just in case you thought that wonky Linux bashers were on the way out,
> > > I found this gem (supposedly about VMware) while baby sitting a CRM
> > > import.
> > > http://www.sdtimes.com/cols/javawatch.htm
> > > Title: "Schizophrenic Development"
> > I sometimes wonder if these articles aren't written with the intention of
> >  generating hate mail to his in-box and traffic to his web site.
>
> Perhaps,  but I read the paper copy. (Die trees, Die!)  :)
>
> I suspect these guys really fancy themselves experts on everything  (Why
> else would a Java developer writing about VMware and who uses Visio (I
> mean, Gaccck!) write about by whom the Linux desktop is designed (or not
> designed)).

Actually, he makes some good points, but buries them in chaff. While his
DHCP gripe is demonstrably false (I mean, geeze, it defaults to DHCP
network setup in the INSTALLER!), his conclusion is actually good, and I
can cite a much better example of a show-stopper bug: SuSE 9.1 ships
with a broken video player. Not only does it TELL you it won't play
DVDs, but it seems incapable of playing video at all! That IS a killer
for a consumer OS these days.

Application availability is still an issue, too, though perhaps not
quite the killer Mr. Holub would have us believe. Visio's actually a
pretty solid package with features I'd LIKE to see in OODraw. For that
matter, the Linux side's still a ways off from a vector package of Corel
Draw's or Adobe Illustrator's ability, although OODraw comes close. I've
seen nothing that comes anywhere near filling AutoCAD's niche, either.

All that said, I have to agree that he's mostly blowing hot air, drawing
far too broad a conclusion with next to nothing in the way of tangible
evidence, his one direct complaint being WRONG... You know, I'd almost
bet he skipped through his firewall settings on his one and only
installation, forgot to open his DHCP port, and decided the built-in
firewall was a BUG, not a feature.

Idiot. ==83

--
Andrew Thompson <apthmpsn at imagerie.com>